a presentation of ... Creative Healing, LLC
|Posted by Karen M. Wyatt on February 10, 2015 at 10:40 AM|
Choices and Dignity in Dying Symposium
Thursday March 12, 2015
10 am Pacific/1 pm Eastern
Join Dr. Karen Wyatt and her special guest Arline Hinckley, Secretary of the Board and Client Support Volunteer for Compassion and Choices of Washington. They will discuss the Death With Dignity laws that are currently in effect in Washington and Oregon and under consideration in several other states across the country.
You will learn:
- Why physician assisted "suicide" is not considered an accurate term
- The end-of-life options offered to patients during a consultation with Compassion and Choices
- The process patients must follow to utilize the Death With Dignity law
- The statistics for Washington: how many people actually seek assistance with dying and how many follow through
- How Death With Dignity laws can offer peace and reassurance to dying patients
Arline Hinckley, ACSW, has long had an interest in the areas of personal freedom, social justice, choice and end-of-life issues. She was a Public Health Social Worker for high risk pregnant women and infants in Seattle. She also worked with the hematology/oncology team at the University of Missouri Medical Center where her duties included instructing medical students in the needs of dying patients and their families. She joined the Board of the Washington Hemlock Society in 1990 and the Board of Compassion and Dying in 2004. She has volunteered with a local hospice and is now Secretary of the Board and a Client Support Volunteer for Compassion and Choices of Washington.
Websites: Compassion and Choices - www.compassionandchoices.org
Compassion and Choices of Washington - http://compassionwa.org