a presentation of ... Creative Healing, LLC
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
Thank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart
|Posted by Karen M. Wyatt on July 20, 2017 at 4:20 PM|
Learn how our current advance directive forms (lving wills, POLST, etc.) are failing to meet the needs of patients and discover an innovative, evidence-based solution to the problem.
Thursday August 10, 2017
10 am Pacific/1 pm Eastern
My guest is Dr. Fred Mirarchi, emergency physician and author, who will share his research on the use and misuse of advance directives in hospital settings. Dr. Mirarchi is the lead investigator of the TRIAD Studies (The Realistic Interpretation of Advance Directives) which have revealed that there is a nationwide risk to patient safety due to confusion surrounding living wills and DNR orders. He will share the results of his studies and his innovative ideas for fixing the problem with advance directives for patients both at the end of life and in critical situations.
In this interview you will learn:
- How patient safety has been compromised by confusion over advance directives
- Results of the TRIAD Studies showing that living wills and POLST forms are frequently misinterpreted
- How the old medical paradigm of "Treat first and ask questions later" is changing
- Why you should be concerned that your own healthcare wishes may not be followed in an emergency situation
- How Dr. Mirarchi hopes to improve the situation with an innovative new plan
- How MIDEO™ cards and videos have been shown to increase patient safety and compliance with patient wishes
Ferdinando L. Mirarchi, DO, is the medical director of UPMC Hamot’s Emergency Department and chairman of the UPMC Hamot Physician Network Governance Council. He is the principal investigator of the TRIAD Studies (The Realistic Interpretation of Advance Directives), the results of which have been featured in the New York Times and released by the PA Patient Safety Authority and the Journal of Emergency Medicine and confirm there is a nationwide risk to patient safety related to confusion surrounding living wills and DNR orders.
Dr. Mirarchi is the author of “Understanding Your Living Will; What You Need to Know before a Medical Emergency” published by Addicus Book. Dr. Mirarchi is a fellow of the American College of Emergency Physicians as well as a fellow of the American Academy of Emergency Medicine. He has been published nationally and internationally in the field of emergency medicine and featured in national publications, including the USA Today, The New York Times, The Associated Press, and ABC News.
Categories: Advance Care Planning